GENERIC SOCIAL STUDIES THEMATIC ESSAY RUBRIC
- Shows a clear and deep understanding of the theme;
- Addresses all aspects of the task.
- Shows an ability to analyze, compare, and contrast issues and events.
- Writes a cohesive, cogent essay that uses a rich array of detail.
- Summarizes key arguments and points made in the essay.
- Includes a strong introduction and conclusion.
- Understands the theme and defines it.
- Discusses most aspects of the task. Theme is supported with accurate facts, examples,
and details, but may be somewhat uneven in treatment.
- Analyzes issues and events.
- Writes a well-developed essay that includes many details.
- Includes a good introduction and conclusion.
- Presents an acceptable definition of the theme.
- May fail to address all aspects of the task. Minimal factual errors may be present.
- Is able to analyze issues and events, but not in any depth.
- Writes a coherent essay with some detail.
- Restates the theme in introduction and concludes with a simple restatement of the task.
- Attempts to address the theme, but uses vague and/or inaccurate information.
- Develops faulty analysis of theme.
- Narrative goes off on tangents; essay lacks focus.
- Has vague or missing introduction and/or conclusion.
Lacks an analysis of the issues and events beyond stating vague and/or
Strings random facts together in a weak narrative that lacks focus.
Has no introduction or conclusion.
- Fails to address the theme.
- Includes so many indecipherable words that no sense can be made of the response.
- Blank paper.